Thursday, March 20, 2008

Old man

The Old Man With a Guitar is probably my favorite painting. It was painted by Pablo Picasso during his blue period and features what else besides and old man with a guitar. To me it symbolizes many things. Its about the strain of life and how sometimes the only thing that you have to clench onto is your art, whether iits painting, writing, or your music. When things get bad, the only thing you can do is turn inward to what you love and rely on. It's the only way to keep your sanity and make sense of what you can't possibly understand.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Pablo Picasso is such a crazy artist. I checked out The Old Man With a Guitar on the website and it is so intricate and detailed.

What I find interested is how Picasso choose to portray the piece. It is of a man who seems to be very mixed up, it almost looks like a puzzle, and yet, the painting is done in cool colors- which meant he was probably in a upset or worried mood.

I liked that you picked up on that it was done during the Blue Period. That was time when Picasso was very depressed and his mood is depicted into several paintings.

Good job!

Lauren said...

edit: What I found interesting*

Elise Carter said...

I remember doing a Spanish project on Pablo Picasso, and yes he was a little crazy Lauren, but he was an artistic genius. I don't think the guy in the painting seems mixed up, I think it truly represents the strife that artist have to go through. I just think that the puzzle-like look of the painting adds to this. If memory serves me correctly, his Blue period, was when he was more depressed than anything, I'm not too sure about worried though. I really like how you emphasized how one of the only things artists have to hold on to is their art. This to me means that their art depicts their ideas, so if they don't have their ideas, then they literally have nothing. I really enjoyed hearing your thoughts on this piece, RJ and Lauren.