Friday, February 22, 2008

Is school really necessary?

Well to get right to the point, I think there is only one thing that school is necessary for. Everything else we can achieve by being educated at home, or learning it in the real world. That one things is social structure. while its true that in home schooling you can become a social person, nothing prepares you for the real world quite like living in that social structure everyday. This is important because people need to understand how society is structure, even if it flawed and bad. People still need to understand something, even if they want to take it down. Its kind of like that saying keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
Anyways, besides that one part of life, I believe everything else can be learned outside the structure of a school system. Whether it's in the real world, or being taught at home, school isn't truly necessary to create the kids into the bright minds that they can be.

1 comment:

Xander said...

RJ, while you make several interesting points about how worldly things can be learned outside of the classroom, i think it of importance to be exposed to larger social environments (much like what you have stated). In that regard, I would have to say that while you may be on to something as far as public schools are concerned, there are so many varying situations that schooling can lend a hand to.

Am I making any sense?
-J. Napier
(seriously though, XLT)