Monday, February 4, 2008

And Giants ftw!!!

I have to say that this year's super bowl ads were very weak compared to past years, but at least the game was far more interesting than the last two. I guessed the decided to reverse it this year or something. I digress, the three commercials that stand out to me are one's for FedEx, Amp, and Go Daddy.com.
The first FedEx played off of a lot of what they have done in past years, using humor that really isn't offensive to anybody to make a commercial that gives you a good laugh. My favorite will still be last year's with the dinosaurs, but this is definitely up there. FedEx has given an example f a commercial that can be effective, funny, and generally clean.
The second is the Amp commercial. Amp is an energy drink made by the same people as Mountain Dew, so I guess a lot of people are going to assume that it is automatically inappropriate for some reason or another. While I do admit that this specific commercial was a bit weird and really out there, it definitely wasn't as bad as other commercials out there. For anybody out there who didn't see it, the whole thing was that this woman's battery died in the middle of a dessert and a guy in a tow truck comes up to restart her battery. But instead of attaching it to his car, her attaches it to himself on the nipples and starts drinking amp. The energy in the drink then proceeds to pass through him and into the car. Now I know that someone out there is going to find some way to make that sexual, but honestly I don't see it as extremely inappropriate. While attaching cables to yourself is pretty bad, it is by far and away, at least in my mind, not a lean towards a sexual innuendo, as much as showing that amp gives you a ton of energy.
The final one is definitely the weird and completely ineffective, for me anyways. I don't understand why anyone would think that doing an ad like that would be good at all. I just think that it's stupid and a waste of a whole lot of money.

Finally, congrats to the Giants. And I hope the patriots never win another super bowl, or game for that matter.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I saw the AMP commercial. I thought it was pretty funny. I liked how the man, who was slightly overweight, had jumper cables attached to his nipples because he was trying to jump start a car. All he had to do was drink some AMP, and then it gave him enough energy to start the car. Also, during the whole commercial he was dancing crazily to the song "Push It" by Salt-N-Pepper. It was pretty funny and it made me want to go out and buy an AMP to see whether or not it would give me a ton of energy.

The only part that could have been thought was being sexual was the very end of the commercial. It zoomed up really close to where the jumper cable was connected to his nipples. Other than that, connecting the cable to his nipples was just for a comical effect