Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ad's and sexuality, how personal can it get?

Okay, let me start off by saying that for the most part I agree with the ideas that are presented in this article about why ad's can be bad. But I also would like to say that I hate the author of this piece and the argument that she put together in her piece. I don't know about anyone else, but I definitely don't like to be preached at as if I don't know anything about this issue, or that I am a good for nothing person who is being yelled at for about 20 pages. Because that is exactly what I felt like. I think that if she changed her dialog a bit so that it wasn't as soapbox preachy, I would have listened a lot more to what she had to say.

Something else that she did that I think could have definitely improved her article was using ad's that are commonplace in the media and not just the bottom of the barrel trash. I don't care how old those ad's were, I have never seen any ad that has been as bad as those were, the closest I've even come have been the Axe ad's in magazine's. I felt that it was like someone saying using shows like American Gladiator and I love New York, or any crappy 'dating show' that airs on VH1, to be an example for all television. While it is true that a group is judged by the least among them, I believe that it would give more credibility to the essay as a whole if the author were to use ad's that have been seen commonly before and describe what is wrong with those instead of just picking the very bottom of the proverbial barrel.

I would also like to leave off with one last statement on this subject:
How much can we really blame on the advertise in the media, and how much can we account to personal responsibility?

1 comment:

JLK2009 said...

Rj-
Ok, so I agree with you that Kilbourne over exaggerates and gets in your face. The thing you said that made me want to respond to your blog was, when you said you would have listened to what she had to say if she had presented it in another manner. I agree that the way she presents her argument is very much geared at women. She wants people to join her and her thoughts so spewing facts and opinions does just that. But, what I was wondering was, did you not like the way she presented her argument because of the in your face soapbox style, or because as a male you felt like she was telling you that you were an awful person and that all males are horrible. (p.s. i don't think she was saying that. I think she was saying that because these ads exist violence and objectification become acceptable and that some men take advantage of that.)