Steven Cruz brings up some very interesting points that I enjoyed and agreed with. The one that hit me the hardest was the notion he made that the new American dream is to not lose. As Americans, I think that we have adopted this idea that it's ok if we don't do anything to progress ourselves further, as long as we don't lose. Our only drive is to do minimum to win. I think it's ridiculous how no one wants to become something greater than what they are. They just don't want to lose. It's what is really wrong with this society and the American Dream now a days. Where would we really be if no body wanted to maybe advance life a little bit?
Would Washington have crossed the Deleware? WOuld Peyton Manning have won the super bowl after years of shameful dissappointment. None of them settled for just "not losing", so why should anybody else? Some people just need to get a grip on life and realize that you cannot just go coasting through doing whatever you wish until it's too late to change anything. If that happens what will this country come to? If we all go the way of Cruz's revamped "American Dream", America might no exhist in the state if was meant to become.
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
RJ, it hit me hard as well that the American Dream is not to lose. It's seems like such an interesting concept, that I myself have never considered. I agree that American's have adopted the notion that it's "okay" to not process any further though. I think that as Americans, we don't want to drop down or get demoted, and in order for that to happen we have to something to get ahead. There are a lot of people who are okay with standing in one spot, and that's why they aren't getting anywhere. It's a terrible thing, but there are always going to be those people who are okay with standing still. Coasting through isn't going to get you anywhere but downwards.
I just want to make it clear that Cruz doesn't believe we should just strive to 'not lose'. He feels it's a huge problem.
Post a Comment